Saw a bootleg of this a few weeks ago that was missing some footage, but finally caught it theatrically. Just a few quick thoughts, and some SPOILERS for the five people who haven’t seen it yet:
- Getting Roger Deakins on a Bond movie is maybe the smartest move EON ever made. This whole thing looks beautiful, even when the score is threatening to overpower the rest of the movie—i.e. that otherwise-awesome Michael Mann-ish fight scene in the high rise.
- The “references” in this aren’t as consistently deft as they were in Casino Royale (2006)—pretty much everything with the Aston Martin is really clunky fan service—but there are some bits in this that point throughout the franchise without sacrificing the greater plot, from the Live and Let Die (1973)-esque presence of large lizards to a fight scene on top of a train just like, uh, Octopussy (1983).
- Javier Bardem’s the most entertaining villain this series has had since Sean Bean’s Trevelyan in Goldeneye (1995), pretty effectively blending menace and high camp.
- My biggest problem with this one: man, is Skyfall unusually misogynist for a Bond flick (and yeah, I know these movies generally are, but bear with me here). Not even talking about Bond’s cavalier attitude when one of his flings gets offed, but by the movie’s end, you have M replaced by a man and Bond’s field agent partner reduced to a secretary. That’s not even mentioning Bond wordlessly walking into a shower and seducing a former sex slave. Weird, kind of cringey stuff.
- Some stuff that I wish was expounded upon: there are threads hinted at throughout about the declining relevancy of MI6 and espionage in general, threads that are never really followed up on satisfactorily. I guess that’s more what stuff like Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) is for.
- And what’s good with Albert Finney? It’s nice seeing him, and he acquits himself well, but his character is sort of pointless.
Ultimately, pretty good though! Not as much so as Casino Royale, but significantly better than the woeful Quantum of Solace (2008), Skyfall was one of the first times I’ve been legit excited to see “JAMES BOND WILL RETURN” at the movie’s end.
- posted by funkyassdicegame